The Friends Historical Library Dublin – officially the Historical Library of Ireland Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends – is situated in Quaker House. It contains the manuscript and printed archives of Quakers in Ireland since their establishment here in the 17th century. The library and archives are open to the public every Thursday, except Christmas Day, from 11.0 am to 1.0 pm. Click here for travel advice.
Manuscripts and Records
The most important manuscripts are the Minutes of the various Quaker meetings and committees. These and many other documents from 1670 to 1914 may be viewed on the website Findmypast.ie on payment of a modest fee. The website includes an index of names with more than a million and a half entries. Clicking on a name yields a brief outline of the individual’s life together with a downloadable image of the page on which the name appears.
Books, pamphlets and personal writings
The collection of printed books contains works from the 17th century up to the present, together with many unpublished dissertations. The Library also holds a large collection of printed pamphlets, manuscript letters, essays and photographs. The headings of some 45,000 documents are available on the Findmypast.ie website and appear when a name search is initiated.
Librarian and archivist duties are seen to by a team of volunteers who engage in cataloguing, assisting visiting readers and replying to queries by telephone or e-mail.
Historical Library, Quaker House Dublin, Stocking Lane, Dublin 16; Phone +353 1 4998006.
Books for Sale
The Historical Library holds a stock of recent books relating to Quakers in Ireland, available by mail order. Click here for catalogue and for a list of other publications.
Curator: Christopher Moriarty